Coaching Rumors Are Flying
Now that the regular season for college football is basically over, only Army/Navy remains, the coaching carousel is starting to take over and it’s taking over with some interesting rumors.
Chris Petersen is apparently the guy that the Hogs want. Great choice. The only problem is that he’s been glued to Boise for years and it would really take something special to see him come in and take the sixth best SEC job (at best). Mike Gundy has also apparently met with the Hogs and he would be another great hire if it happens.
AL.com has six coaches linked to the Auburn job…Jimbo Fisher, Gus Malzahn, Gary Patterson, Charlie Strong, James Franklin and Chris Petersen. Strong has denied being in contact with Auburn and I just don’t see Petersen taking the job. They are also apparently interviewing Chad Morris (OC at Clemson) and Kirby Smart (DC at Bama). I think the Franklin info is outdated as he just signed an extension. I find it hard to see anybody but Malzahn here unless he turns it down. If you believe the “rumors” we should know something more concrete on Wednesday about this job.
The Vols have reportedly interviewed Charlie Strong and Mike Gundy, although Strong is denying it, and now they are going to be meeting with Jimbo Fisher. Any of those coaches would be great hires. Larry Fedora is also a possibility. I think Fisher is just doing the Les Miles here and looking for more money.
- Not really a rumor as it’s a reality, NIU’s Dave Doeren is the new NC State coach.
- Cincinnati coach Butch Jones is in Colorado today after previously interviewing at Purdue. He’s a hot candidate and would be a good get for either school.
- Skip Holtz has just been ousted as USF coach so that’s one more job that is open.
- Cal has a few interesting names on their list.. Pat Narduzzi (DC/Mich State), Sonny Dykes (La Tech), Bob Diaco (DC/Notre Dame) and Darell Hazell (Kent State).
- Oh yeah, one more to add. Georgia State hired Trent Miles.
Just remember that by the time you read this, it will all be outdated!
Continued here: Coaching Rumors Are Flying